Re: Topband: VK9WWI Report - Beverages

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VK9WWI Report - Beverages
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 02:58:02 +0000 (GMT)

> Eddy, George et al,
>
> We approached the beverages at 3B7C with the same level of
> trepidation. Being a narrow island we elected to run the EU/NA
> beverage so that the feedpoint was on the south shore and the
> termination point on the north shore. The beverage thus ran
> about 5
> feet high across the coral sand of the island. The JA beverage
> started on the south shore and ran diagonally towards the north
> shore
> but terminated some 30 meters from th shore. You can see the
> layout
> by going to www.3B7C.com and following the link to 'latest news'
> '18th - 19th September and clicking the link at the bottom of
> the page.
>
> As the island is only 1km long by 100 - 200m wide and no more
> than 2m
> ASL we were never far from the ocean! Despite this the
> beverages
> worked well and were the rx antenna of choice on 160m and to a
> slightly lesser extent on 80m. Clearly we should pool this
> knowledge
> to gain a greater understanding of the variables - and of course
> try
> some controlled experiments.
>
> 73 Chris G3SVL

It seems that beverage can work well close to salt water. Eu Beverage at VE1ZZ
runs over poor ground (rocky terrain) and is terminated on the SS hub cap in
the water. That one beats phased and staggered Beverages.

Lossy ground underneath the Beverage seems to complete the travelling wave
antenna circuit, providing wave tilt.

Verticals and loops should also perform well at the water's edge.

73 and GL  Yuri, K3BU