Re: Topband: VK9WWI Report - Beverages

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VK9WWI Report - Beverages
From: G3SVL <Chris@G3SVL.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:27:20 +0100
At 16:04 10/10/2007, Eddy wrote:
>On 8th October, George wrote...
>
>"...The Beverage worked so well that a couple of days later we extended it
>to 220 meters... The extended Beverage, however, produced much better
>signals, especially on 160 m... The Beverage worked very well for us for the
>rest of the operation. It was very good on 160 meters and it was superb on
>80 meters..."
>
>**********************************
>Most interesting, George --- your decision to erect a Beverage runs in
>direct opposition to ON4UN's admonitions against utilizing Beverages near
>salt water like that...
>
>~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Eddy, George et al,

We approached the beverages at 3B7C with the same level of
trepidation. Being a narrow island we elected to run the EU/NA
beverage so that the feedpoint was on the south shore and the
termination point on the north shore. The beverage thus ran about 5
feet high across the coral sand of the island. The JA beverage
started on the south shore and ran diagonally towards the north shore
but terminated some 30 meters from th shore.  You can see the layout
by going to www.3B7C.com and following the link to 'latest news'
'18th - 19th September and clicking the link at the bottom of the page.

As the island is only 1km long by 100 - 200m wide and no more than 2m
ASL we were never far from the ocean!  Despite this the beverages
worked well and were the rx antenna of choice on 160m and to a
slightly lesser extent on 80m.  Clearly we should pool this knowledge
to gain a greater understanding of the variables - and of course try
some controlled experiments.

73 Chris  G3SVL