Re: Topband: Getting started on 160

Subject: Re: Topband: Getting started on 160
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:52:44 +1200
jsloss wrote:
> Am contemplating trying top band this fall/winter with a goal toward
> chatting, WAS,  and some DX.  Antenna likely will be an inverted L.  As I
> plan the station a few questions come to mind:
>
> Will 100W be a suitable start of should I add 160 to my HB 572B amp?  Another
> option would be to put my C-line back in service which will gve a little more
> power and also solve the "split" concern which follows.
>
> Is working "split" a common practice when working DX?  The 160m station will
> be vintage gear.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe k7mks
> W WA

Hi Joe,

As one of the "DX" stations that you may be thinking of working, I would
strongly recommend some "steam".  Although barefoot QSO's happen, and
fairly often too, they are still the exception rather than the rule.
100 W should be quite adequate for working around NA though.

To answer your second question, no, working split is not the norm for
random DX QSO's.  If you want to work any of the expeditions, however,
you will definitely need split capability.  Even some of the regular
DX'ers, such as FK8CP, insist on split operation even for routine
contacts.  Personally, I don't generally split for NA QSO's, but I do
for Eu, as the operating styles are "different" ;-) .

73, Greg, ZL3IX