Re: Topband: Getting started on 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Getting started on 160
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:24:09 +1200
Robert Kavanagh wrote:
> I have never used more than 100 watts and never will. I do
> not own an amplifier. But I have had many years of happy operating on
> 160 despite this limitation. Yes, it took me a bit longer to get my
> 160 DXCC, and I am often clobbered by the big guns, but it is a
> challenge. When, once in a while, I can have a QSO with Bob, VK3ZL, I
> probably get a bigger kick out of it than do those who are using
> kilowatts. I have learned a lot about 160 in the process. Isn't that
> why we are amateur radio operators ?

Hi Bob,

I basically agree with you about a starting point, but I am very glad
that I do have an amp to use.

It's fine for you guys living in NA never to use an amp, but stuck here
in the middle of the Pacific, I would very often never make a Q at all
if running barefoot exclusively.  Apart from Bob VK3ZL, occasionally
Phil VK6ABL, and the odd wandering ZL, my nearest contact is in excess
of 10 000 km.  For the same reason, I am also glad for the NA guys who
do run some power, as it enables me to check propagation.

73, Greg, ZL3IX