Re: Topband: Getting started on 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Getting started on 160
From: RK <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:35:01 +0000
Dear Joe k7mks,

First off all, long time no see but very glad you are interested in Top-Band.
You pose some of the best questions I've seen on the reflector in a long
time.

Bring on the Drake "C" Lines, the Vikings and Hallicrafters not to mention the
Nationals. While the best of the best equipment will always be desired,  It's
all about fun and challenge. I get a lot of snickers about using the lowly
TS-570 at 100W but it meets my needs in function.

The inverted L is a great start point when complemented by a full effort
ground system. Add a K9AY RX antenna and or some long beverages and enjoy
what you can do with what you have. At this point your station will be
balanced.

While in some circles being loud is "cool", being loud and not receiving well
is not very high on my list. Let's be real, most of the world outside of
contesting and DX'ing groups run less than 500W. To be honest in my own
opinion, I'd rather work the week ones that can hear well. Calling a +20 over
9 station that can't hear is a gross waste of time and bandwidth.

Cross band or split operation will be required at some point especially where
any major DX-pedition takes place. That kind of operation is expensive and
split increases their rate of QSO's greatly.

Just my Opinion,

120 worked, 97 confirmed by paper 2007-2008 season Top-Band 100W

--

Bob Kile, W7RH
DM35OS