Re: Topband: Trees And RF

To: Annas Alamudi <annas.alamudi@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Trees And RF
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 21:25:08 -0500
The antenna depicted on W5JGV's web page is a RX antenna setup and is
apparently also for low MF.

Though the owner might be quite satisfied with the "performance", if the
premise was that trees are lossy "antennas", and that article a proof
sufficient to allow agencies to set policy and put the premise in a textbook
as a fact, a dissertation committee would have a field day.

The first thing on the list (and not the only one) would have been to
measure the reception of the coil by itself when tuned.  The coil itself is
a decent receiving antenna, just simply noting the "loopstick" antennas in
use in the many old portable AM radio sets, which were nothing except a much
smaller coil wound around a ferrite rod to give it the same kind of
inductance as you might get from the big coil depicted in the web page.

73, Guy.