Re: Topband: insulated vs:bare radial wires

To: richard@karlquist.com
Subject: Re: Topband: insulated vs:bare radial wires
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 13:53:49 -0500
> N6LF established that a few elevated radials, which do not shield the
> ground, can be as effective as the traditional on-ground radial field.  He
> also warns that the implementation is far more critical.
>
> Rick N6RK

As far as I can tell with this and other such reports, including the
benchmark 1937 work, all the measurements were made at ground level,
and would therefore not measure skywave. The ground level measurements
do NOT extrapolate to skywave unless one makes certain ASSUMPTIONS.
These assumptions have not been challenged, since they have no
essential bearing (read worthy of spending money) on commercial MF
broadcasting, which requires signal strength readings at the ground
for certification.

Since amateur communications consists almost entirely of SKY WAVE
considerations we will have to provide our own SKY WAVE research.

73, Guy.