Re: Topband: SDR-IQ experience during CQ 160 contest

To: tree@kkn.net
Subject: Re: Topband: SDR-IQ experience during CQ 160 contest
From: Niko Cimbur <ac6dd@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:03:17 -0800 (PST)
I used the SDR-IQ to record some of the last years contest with Spectravue,
turned it on and off by during transmission, but that got tiring after a while,
still I have quite a bit of the contest recorded.

Last year I got into a frequency fight with a K7 where he shows up claiming the
frequency after I listened on the frequency for a bit, asked twice QRL and than
started a CQ.  The K7 would have none of it and started his own CQ on tha same
frequency.  I managed to work some stations like this, but it was quite a pain.
 Finally after quite a while he gave up.

So a few days after the contest I thought what is the chance that I taped this
on Spectravue.  I find the frequency and approximate time where this happened
and sure enough there he is calling CQ alone before I showed up.  And than he
is gone.  And than time passes, and it is just shy of 3 minutes before you hear
my signal.

For this years contest I found it an excellent way to locate a clear frequency
for CQ.  I did not record any of the contest, although I now wish I did having
to deal with some jammers.
I found the SRD-IQ o be quite a resource hog on the computer.  Bit it is a
great piece of equipment.

I recently ordered the Genesis 160 SDR, but only got about half way on the kit,
so no report on it yet.  I still need to take down my Christmas tree.

Niko - AC6DD

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK