Re: Topband: Band coming alive

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Band coming alive
From: "Bob Eldridge" <eldridge@direct.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:56:11 -0700
> I've had a rig on 160M for a week looking for stations with whom I
> can
> exchange signal reports on a new antenna.

I guess we have to define "dead band"!  NM7M used the phrase
"socialogical factor" to describe the situation whereby the ionosphere
is in good shape but nobody is there because they are asleep or active
on other bands.  We have to draw a distinction between the deadness of
the band and the deadness (or near deadness) of the users.
This morning I happened to be up at 1230Z, intending to do something
outside while it was cool, looked over the band. There was VK3IO
calling CQ (CQ DX to be precise) with no takers. I called him, he
greeted me like a long lost brother, and we had a short QSO.  When he
signed, there was VK6HD, and we exchanged pleasantries.  I heard no
other signal on the band, but up on 2310 kHz  Alice Springs BC station
was full program quality with just about no noise.
Good that there were a couple of VKs not yet gone to bed.

So I would say "the band is coming alive", although it is possible the
band was alive before but nobody realized it.  Jim Brown makes me feel
a bit guilty; I seldom respond to a CQ from someone I feel doesn't
really want to be bothered with a VE7, unless that someone is calling
and calling with no takers.  And I just about never call CQ myself,
although if nobody called CQ we would never know whether the band is
usable.

Mea culpa.  I should pay more attention to the difference between CQ
and CQ DX.  I am only too pleased to give encouragement to anyone.

Bob VE7BS

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK