Topband: DX Window No Long Relevant

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DX Window No Long Relevant
From: John Crovelli <w2gd@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:19:45 -0500
As a courtesy, last weekend our Multi operation, as a courtesy,  refrained from
calling CQ in what some still consider the DX Window (1830 - 1835).

BUT lets be realistic here, this is 2011, not 1961.  Split operation, a
necessary operating technique of the W1BB era is no longer necessary. Frequency
allocations between ITU regions and individual countries have become more
aligned.  All world class radios have narrow filtering capability, etc. fully
capable of handling the worst pileups.

The need for a "window" has diminished to the point it has become irrelevant in
today's world.

Only the ARRL seems to hold onto the notion of a DX window in their 160 contest
rules, but they are well known for there slowness to react to current world
realities.

So.... I vote we assume THE 160M DX WINDOW is DEAD and move on to topics which
might have significantly more value to the masses.

73,

John W2GD/P40W

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK