Re: Topband: Weatherproof enclosures?

To: <jmwooods@yahoo.com>, <pstaupe@qwest.net>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Weatherproof enclosures?
From: Charles Moizeau <w2sh@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 13:54:59 -0400

Paul,

I will certainly second Jeff's recommendation.

Those gray plastic junction boxes are made for outdoor use and are heavy-duty
construction.  They come in various sizes with the cover equipped with a
flexible gasket.

I get mine from Lowes, but don't recall the manufacturer.  Of course I
substituted stainless steel screws for the zinc-plated ones supplied.

The biggest I found measures 12" x 12" x 6" and that will be used to neatly
contain my DX Engineering radial connection plate and a vacuum variable
capacitor.   I have yet to work out exactly how I will bring the coax feedline
and the 12 and 14-gauge radial wires (numbering 55, worth 1.25 miles, so far)
through the box's walls

73,

Charles, W2SH

> Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:52:19 -0700
> From: jmwooods@yahoo.com
> To: pstaupe@qwest.net; topband@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: Topband: Weatherproof enclosures?
>
> Paul,
>
> Lately I've become quite fond of weather-tight electrical handy-boxes as
> enclosures for beverage hardware. They can be found in the electrical
> supplies
> sections of Home Depot or Lowes for ~$6 or so.  The smallest enclosures are
> about 4x4" by 2" deep and feature a gasket seal and screw-on cover.  The
> plastic
> housing is easy to drill for fittings.
>
> Home Depot carries Carlon, similar to these:
> http://www.carlonsales.com/himelineheseries.php
>
> My favorites are Kraloy brand, found at a midwest home-improvement chain
> called
> Menards.  They use brass machine screws and threaded inserts for the covers.
>

> http://www.kraloyfittings.com/Content/Products/Product.aspx?ProductId=39
>
>  Part number JB442 is the 4x4x2 version.
>
> -Jeff
> W0ODS