Re: Topband: New entry to TopBand with antenna question

To: "'Michael G. Carper'" <mike@wa9pie.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: New entry to TopBand with antenna question
From: "Price Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 10:21:50 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Michael G. Carper
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2011 10:06 PM
To: topband@contesting.com

Hey folks.

I've been a ham for 37 years, but I've spent my entire ham "career" on
80-10m (with the exception of 7 countries worked on 160m about ten years
ago).  For the most part, the same obstacle has kept me off TopBand that
prevents most - antenna space.

Now that I've made DXCC on all bands 80-10m (and very close on 6m). and
since we've recently moved to a place with 7-acres and a nice tall
tree-line, I figure my options for 160m are better.  That said - we're
leasing this place and I've probably got 2-years here.

My goal is simple - make DXCC on 160m within the next 2 years.

So I'm looking for some advice about the antenna.

I'm very tempted to buy a B&W folded dipole and call it done. but I'm
curious about what others are doing.  I've got an amplifier, but no
high-power tuner.  So I want to avoid a tuner - the folded dipole seems to
get me there and I can put it up at 70' or so in the elm trees.

Thoughts?

Mike, WA9PIE

________________________

Mike,

I have to agree with Tree.
A vertical antenna is the way to go. With your trees, an Inverted L would be
a great transmit antenna.
I would also recommend that you get a copy of "Low Band DXing" bu John
Devoldere ON4UN. It is available
>From the ARRL. Great source of information.

73 de

Price,  W0RI   Near St. Louis  160 DXCC 180 countries

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK