Re: Topband: New entry to TopBand with antenna question

To: "Michael G. Carper" <mike@wa9pie.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: New entry to TopBand with antenna question
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 00:55:40 -0400
Hi, Mike

Many transceivers do NOT have a separate input for a receive antenna,
particularly older ones.  For those rigs there are a few auxiliary boxes,
like DXpedition II that pipe the one transceiver RF jack through it and will
switch in a RX antenna when NOT transmitting, by piping the amplifier keying
line from the transceiver through it. The front of the unit allows selecting
the xmit antenna or one of up to four RX antennas, when the rig is not
transmitting

However many new transceivers *DO* HAVE separate RX antenna jacks, which can
be selected from the front panel.  A fully equipped K3 with the dual
receivers has TWO RX input jacks, one for each receiver.  These are required
to do the dual RX diversity possible with the K3.  My '90's FT1000MP has a
separate RX jack, so they have been around for a while.  A separate RX jack
selectable from the front panel is one of the things on the list of 160m
must-haves for shopping for a rig that will do 160 well, along with a
non-crushable front end, etc.

73, Guy.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK