Re: Topband: Counterpoise very interresting

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Counterpoise very interresting
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:44:24 -0500
On 11/23/2011 05:49 PM, Gene Smar wrote:
> Gents:
>
>       A man much wiser than I once told me, "The difference between theory
> and practice in theory is less than the difference between theory and
> practice in practice."
I suspect that while models may be somewhat inaccurate
sometimes (especially due to lack of things like trees and
houses in the models), the modeling software will still give
a good picture of the relative quality between two antennas
in the same installation.

For example, the performance of antennas in my yard is
likely to be off due to the presence of things like trees,
my house, and the neighbors' houses.

This could cause the model to be off by several dB.

However, I suspect that the models of various antennas
are likely to each be off by similar amounts in the same
direction.

In other words, if NEC tells me that one antenna has a
few more dB gain than another, this is likely to be true,
even if it gets the gain for both antennas slightly wrong.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Has anyone observed something contrary?
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK