Re: Topband: An observation about Topband contesting technique

To: Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: An observation about Topband contesting technique
From: Steven Raas <sjraas@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 21:50:38 -0500
Could be Sam,

I do know that here with my set up ( pretty sad to be honest hihi ) That
most of the weak ones I work on QSB peaks .. which only last for 15 or so
seconds.. It really depends on the condx tho. More so.. and I've had it
happen say 10x this weekend, I cq @ 25-28.. some one comes back @ near
speed ( a few hi or low is FB ).. I send a partial call and ? and they go
right to 10 WPM..or they send their call again @ original speed and send
their call again right after the 1st @ a HIGHLY reduced speed. I dnt mind
QRS'ing I get it.. but from 25 or so to 10? Its like saying 'I think ur
sending faster than u can copy so im going to really drag this out to teach
you somthing'

It is entirely possible im over sensitive to this.. and I am also willing
to admit that as a possibility, honestly.

Regardless .. Im thankfull for every single QSO I made this week end on TB.

Im trying to think how I can do better for Stew, as I am more serious abt
that one.. I was in bed by 130 AM I think both nights as I did not want to
mess up my sleep pattern for this test..that WILL NOT be the case for Stew.
I just hope I find more stations spread out a bit.. I will also be S&P WAY
WAY WAY more.. running is NOT productive for me..as after i logged the 1st
150 q's I could easily go 30 minutes inbetween a new one vs. just SnP .
When I do run.. I run High.. 1850-1870 Too many big people down low in my
little people world hihi.

-Steve Raas
N2JDQ

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@gmail.com> wrote:

> since I have a very weak signal (24w ERP from a 7' tall vertical)
> when I get ask for a repeat of my call
> I send it again at the original speed
>
> but 90% of the time I end up having to repeat more than once
> and them may even have to reduce my speed to ~13wpm
> then I finally have my call copied
>
> perhaps what you are running into is
> someone who is tired of the 3-4 intermediate attempts at normal speeds
> and just cuts to the chase and reduces speed to get it done more quickly?
>

> --
> GB & 73
> K5OAI
> Sam Morgan
>
> On 12/4/2011 7:41 PM, Steven Raas wrote:
> > Here is one thing
> > that REALLY irks me ( any contest definitely not TB specific ) I cq.. I
> > get a weak reply.. I send ? or __? or w/e i need to.. and they CHANGE
> THEIR
> > SPEED..or they slow down from 25 WPM to 10 wpm..REALLY? I wouldn't CQ @ a
> > WPM that I couldn't  copy a call @ 99,1 % of the time @ the same speed
> with