Re: Topband: T Vertical feed

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: T Vertical feed
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:03:11 -0800
On 1/26/2012 1:48 PM, ct1ilt@sapo.pt wrote:
> I measured the impedance at the base and it is Z = 23 + 9j with VSWR
> of 2 to 1.

If that is a good measurement, i wouldn't bother with a matching network.

> The VSWR after 50m of coaxial cable and a home made 1:1 balun (made
> with coax) is 1.7 to 1.

What do you mean by "balun?"  Did you wind turns of the coax around a
ferrite core?  That is NOT a balun, it is a common mode choke. Some
people who don't know better call it a "current balun."  A common mode
choke like this does NOT affect the VSWR or the loss in the coax (except
for the small additional length of coax it takes to wind the choke).

Based on your VSWR measurement and your impedance measurement, I'd say
you're in pretty good shape, at least from the perspective of matching
to the TX.  Good luck in the contest.

73, Jim K9YC  (California, Near SF)

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK