Re: Topband: T Vertical feed

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: T Vertical feed
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:20:16 -0500
> This is a terrible error in logic.  Current on the radials will divide
> based on the impedance of each radial.  If the feedline happens to be
> a "pathological" length its (outer) shield can carry *all* of the
> antenna return current.

To Joe's point, I don't think we want the feedline to become a radial.  It
also seems that placement of the line should occur under the radial field
and not on top of it, but I have not seen any studies that compare
measurements.  Anyone have this data?  My initial thought for base-fed
verticals is to use a CM choke at the base and also at the perimeter of the
radial field, unless by placing the line under the field significantly helps
to reduce coupling to the line.

Paul, W9AC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK