Re: Topband: It is not so much propagation

To: "N4IS" <n4is@comcast.net>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: It is not so much propagation
From: "Milt -- N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:07:41 -0700
Hey J Carlos,

No one said the small, partial lot RX antennas didn't work, and work well
for what they are.

The point is, and in particular looking at your and Doug's cases, how many
more would you have worked (and more easily) with REAL Beverages to listen
with?

To turn the coin around, you folks on the east coast work 2-3 or more times
the stuff with a simple dipole, sloper or Inv L TX antenna than we out west
can with large arrays.  At the same time we hear LOTS of stations with the
Beverages that we cannot work with LARGE TX antennas.

The difference between the Beverages and the compromise, small space
antennas, is IMHO (disclaimer), very large.  There is NO substitute for BIG
on Topband, so long as BIG is properly constructed.  The laws of physics
cannot be defied.  And that includes acreage.

Mis dos centavos,

de Milt, N5IA