Re: Topband: It is not so much propagation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: It is not so much propagation
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:36:20 -0700
On 3/19/2012 1:56 PM, wb6rse1@mac.com wrote:
> Since Dec '99, my own stats are 196 DXCC from a 1/7 acre West Coast city lot
> or 1372 per acre. If I had room for 160m RX arrays, I know my total would be
> higher by perhaps 25 or so. There are very few West of the Rockies that have
> cracked that 200 plateau. Look at the number of countries in proximity to a
> QTH within a 5000 mile radius and with NO aurora zone to deal with and you
> can see why. Top Band is a very different animal out here.

Indeed it is. I've worked 125 since moving here (the San Francisco Bay
area) in 2006 and thought I was doing well.  In a lot more seasons, NI6T
said PJ7PT was #229 for him. Quite an achievement, especially
considering Garry's QTH, which at the bottom of a very deep gulley, with
mountains rising steeply for at least 500 ft on two sides, and with not
a lot of land. I see from ClubLog that K6TA has 211 worked, from a much
better location.

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK