Re: Topband: Mother of all ferrite common-mode coaxial chokes

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Mother of all ferrite common-mode coaxial chokes
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 19:12:56 -0700
On 7/13/2012 6:46 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> Another thing you can do to measure chokes accurately is
> to simply use a Vector Impedance Meter instead of a network
> analyzer.  Like the HP 4815A.  In essence, it uses the VI
> method, as the name implies.  It doesn't care if the
> impedance is nowhere near 50 ohms.  For really high
> impedances, it can be helpful to mathematically subtract
> the stray capacitance of the probe.  I've gotten excellent
> results with my 4815 for years.

That's exactly what's needed, and is the RF I-V method that both Wes and
I cited. And yes, the capacitance of the test fixture can be a major
source of error -- the equivalent circuit of a typical choke is parallel
RLC, where R is typically on the order of 5K and C is on the order of
2-4 pF..

73, Jim

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK