Re: Topband: Soldering in the wild!

To: <grimm@sbc.edu>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Soldering in the wild!
From: "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 19:11:37 -0400
Weller's butane soldering iron works really well. It's not a particularly cheap
unit but it should last you a long time (the butane is refillable).

For weatherproofing, I use butyl rubber splicing "tape" (it doesn't have
adhesive). Stretch it about 30-50 percent while applying it as a spiral over
the exposed solder area and it will stick to itself and make a good seal. You
then need to cover it with a layer of electrical tape to keep it in place over
time. Splices made this way can last a long time. I suspect you could use
coax-seal in place of the butyl tape although it will be messier to work with.

I got some of the new(ish) silicone splicing tape at dayton this year to try
for outdoor splices. It seems somewhat similar to the butyl tape in terms of
how it needs to be applied, but the manufacturer claims it is a one-step deal
(no outer layer of electrical tape needed). I haven't tried it yet myself but
it might be worth a look if you want to give it a shot.

-Bill

[Sent using Blackberry Messaging]