Re: Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 08:26:52 -0400
On 2012-09-16, at 3:25 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:

> Our region sets digital modes as 1800-1810.

Good Day All,

This is related to the ongoing discussion in a very limited way, but it still
warrants the attention of regular users of Topband, IMHO---in fact, it may
actually even be of interest to a few of you reading this...

Specifically, every year The Antique Wireless Association (NY, USA) sponsors
the "Bruce Kelley 1929 QSO Party" for two weekends in late autumn: this year
marks the first time that 160-meters will be added to the existing 80- and
40-meter bands of activity. Details may be seen at
http://www.antiquewireless.org/pdf/AWA_2012-2013_Event_Schedule.pdf

The gist of the event is simply this: members dust off any available 1929 (and
earlier) active devices---also known as "tubes"(!)---and incorporate them into
homebrewed, self-excited transmitters, with a maximum limit of 10-watts input
(double that, optional, after midnight).

The conflict with the ARRL 160-Meter Contest on 30th November - 2nd December
(the first weekend of the AWA Party) doubtlessly means that the bulk of the AWA
doings will take place during the second scheduled weekend, i.e. 8th December
(2300Z) - 9th December (2300Z). I have strongly recommended to the
powers-that-be at AWA that any & all AWA participants  at that time limit
themselves just to the 1800- to 1810-KHz "window", so as not to tread upon the
toes of those who participate in what I consider to be THE major activity on
the band from 1810- to 1840-KHz, i.e. CW DX'ing. Hopefully this will, indeed,
be the case, and all will be well both for the DX crowd, as well as those
aficiandos of QRP chirping / yooping / buzzing CW emanations...!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK