Re: Topband: Reversible BOG?

To: "Jim Miller" <jim@jtmiller.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Reversible BOG?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 09:07:23 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Miller" <jim@jtmiller.com>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:17 AM

As a follow up I wonder if rather than using windowline, whose transmission
line performance would be subject to variations in weather, it might be
better to use coax. The outside of the shield would always be the antenna
but the interior acting as the transmission line would not be subject to
weather variations.

Coax reversible BOG?

73

jim ab3cv

If you can, then raise the BOG a bit off the ground on low growth. I run mine 2-4" off the ground and thru the woods using military telephone line and the changing ground conditions dont appear to bother it much; directivity remains pronounced even when snow covered. Having poor ground conductivity to start with seems to help and the 2-3 ground rods (4' driven at angles here) plus 25-30' radials at both ends tends to stabilize things good enough anyway.

Carl
KM1H
Topband Reflector