Re: Topband: Coupla things

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Coupla things
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:06:47 -0500
I heard a local New England signal today that sounded like auroral
scatter but just worked him and didn't play with the Hi-Z RX antenna
& just left it in one place depending on time & DX. Might have been
the same person, I don't remember his call. I was S&P until this
morning so I was listening for the faint sigs as much as anything.

Now to get my logging program to produce a proper cabrillo...

Gary
KA1J

> I didn't notice the keyclicks so bad, but what did bother me was one
> local who had an incredible amount of (?) phase noise (it was keyed
> broadband noise plus whiny synth noise) up and down from his very
> enthusiastic CQ'ing, and a number of guys who had some pretty bad
> 120Hz ripple, bad enough their sigs were most of a kHz wide.
>
> There was one very loud guy in new england Sunday AM, who for the
> life of me I could not copy his call when my RX antenna was pointed
> at him (my memory was jarred by someone talking about "UFO" sounds),
> but when I pointed away he sounded just fine. I'm guessing some sort
> of multipath. It's more than just the ghostly sound of a local when
> the the band is "being long", my guess is something is actually
> happening to dynamically shift phase so much that it sounded like
> the reflections are an audibly different different tone.
>
> Tim N3QE
> Topband Reflector

Topband Reflector