Re: Topband: Coupla things

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Coupla things
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:06:47 -0500
Heyya Eddie,

> > I do find it disquieting to have  someone obviously trying to copy
> my call and another contester come on top of my attempts and with
> their stronger signal, send their call over mine so the other person
> hearing them clearly replies to them instead. I'm running legal
> limit and the guy overpowering me is 20 over so I know he heard me,
> he just pushed me aside like a shopper at Macy's Bargain Basement.
> Yes it's a contest but I don't find that kind of bullying to carry
> much honour.
>
> The old saying of "...All's fair in love & war" applies here, I'm
> afraid! "bullying" just goes with the turf, & I will admit that
> non-practitioners DO have quite a "learning curve" to go through
> before becoming used / immune to it...

Oh, I can be a genuine SOB, I have witnesses... I just would never
interrupt the DX from reading the J in someones call when the DX is
obviously working that person and nobody else. To pound my call twice
on top of the weak station repeating their call for me to slip in a Q
is fatuous. Maybe that's why I really don't ever try to win, place or
show in contests, I just like a fair game with respect from all. When
I hear one station working someone else I don't do a thing till that
exchange is concluded by those participants. That includes the DX
sending WB4L? and me then sending KA1J to steal WB4L's Q. Just no
honor in that. To me, getting the DXs attention in the first place is
all fair game.

> > - I was S&P and called one fellow out west who was fairly faint.
> When he replied immediately, he was much, much stronger. It could be
> that his amp warmed up and he just turned it on that second he
> replied but that seems unlikely, it was remarkable how quick the
> reply and difference in signal. After a bit I kept thinking how
> unusual that was as in 30 years I've not experienced that kind of
> change without an amp being turned on. Then I got to thinking
> perhaps he had a 4 square or better and has his station set so when
> he logged my call, it accessed a hamcall database and then
> automatically switched to my direction without him manually doing a
> thing. I don't remember which call he has or I'd ask him. Is this
> something that people are doing? Seems ideal.
>
> You can experience sorta the same thing, Gary, on receive, if you
> employ different directional antennas for your "ears": the
> difference(s) can really be quite astounding by times!

Oh yes, I have a HI-Z Triangular array which has different directions
but this was an immediate huge change in signal and between my
calling him & his reply, there wasn't more than a second. Hardly time
to enter my call much less switch an antenna at the same time. Really
seemed like it was robotic in effect. Instant.

> > - Interesting how different the signals are. There was one guy who
> had what sounded like RF on his signal and made him stand out. I
> wonder if that was by accident or intentional.
>
> Funny you should mention that---at one point this morning I was
> answered by a station from New York who would have been an ideal
> candidate for participation in the AWA's annual "1929 QSO Party"! He
> was very broad & raspy-sounding, and was obviously sending with a
> straight key. Anyway, he completely obliterated the other two
> stations who were calling me, so naturally I responded to him first.
> And that was good---except when he moved off-frequency to answer
> others, & was so wide that all I could hear in my passband was his
> signal! Hi Hi. I don't honestly believe that he was a serious
> contender---most likely just wanted to make some Q's with a vintage
> transmitter. He never stuck around too long anyway, & I rather
> enjoyed the experience...

<snip>

I always wanted to hear W1AW's Spark Gap on the air, just once...

Gary
KA1J
Topband Reflector