Re: Topband: Coupla things

To: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Coupla things
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 15:55:23 +0000
Bob (K6NV) and I were having a off-list discussion and it got me wondering....

I heard some bad signals on the east coast here, but nothing memorable that I
would describe as having keyclicks. I think I know what a keyclick is, I got
lots of "OO postcards" in the mail for them and other maladies when I was a kid
:-).

I would be surprised if things were much different on West coast.

Is it possible... that what folks are attributing to keyclicks in the
transmitter, are actually AGC artifacts in their receiver?

There are several legal-limit contest stations within a few miles of me and I'm
used to a strong-signal environment. And how it can pump AGC causing audible
artifacts that are not in the transmitter. And I will generally disable AGC for
anything but ear saving purposes. Why set AGC to make all signals sound the
loudness as each other, or use AGC to make the noise be as loud as a signal?

I think it's possible that some of the modern DSP rigs may have unusual
(impulse) AGC artifacts in a strong signal environment. Having noise blanker
turned on may make keyclick-sounding artifacts too.

Tim N3QE
Topband Reflector