Re: Topband: Coupla things

To: "Eddy Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: Coupla things
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:40:02 -0500
Would that EVERY such case be treated in the same manner, Tom, exactly as you describe & as I acted upon---but sadly, it does not. And it leaves so-called "transgressors" feeling hurt, angry, dis-enfranchised, and no closer to any sort of resolution than before.

Whither the "Gentleman's Band"...? Sadly, it seems to have devolved by times into the personal playhouse of a select few self-styled "noblemen" who have apparently lost the true Amateur spirit>>>

I don't have much of an opinion on it one way or another, except I'm sure most people appreciate direct contact more than public (any chat room, cluster, or reflector is public) contact if possible. The exceptions being something that just can't wait, or no way to contact someone directly.

It would be interesting to keep a list of problems and cures. It isn't correct that it is always the radio, always the amplifier, or even that it is always either the radio or amplifier. Sometimes it is the antenna, or things around the antenna.

When we had terrible old receiving equipment with horrible dynamic range and poor skirts, and even the perceived best gear like Collins fell into that class years ago, we couldn't all bunch up 250 Hz from someone else. Things problems now were not problems when our receivers forced us to be a kilocycle or more away from strong signals, and when receiving and transmitting antenna technology wasn't nearly so good.

We have a new level of problems now.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector