Re: Topband: [CQ-Contest] Wireless Remote Control Relays

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [CQ-Contest] Wireless Remote Control Relays
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:09:02 -0600
Milt,

This was posted March 1, 2012 by N4ZR. Hope it helps. :-)

I have one, too. I never used it.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

...  I [apparently N4ZR] wrote it after a little reverse-engineering.

*Programming the CDKZQ-8L*

This unit is a very inexpensive 8-relay remote switch.  It uses a 315-MHz
radio link between the battery-powered controller and the receiver, and
each of its 8 relays is rated to handle 20 amps at either 14 VDC or 125 VAC.

The controller has 8 buttons.  The first two are larger, but all appear to
operate identically, except when programming (see below).

You must take the receiver unit out of its plastic case to program it.  Once
you have done so, place the receiver unit so that the programming button
and its associated LED are at the lower right.  The eight relays are
arranged like the pins on an IC, and their numbering follows this
convention.  Hence, relay 1 is at the upper left, relay 4 at the lower
left, relay 5 at the lower right, and relay 8 at the upper right.

Each relay is SPDT/normally open, and three terminals are available for the
user, labeled A, B, and C.  B is the common terminal, A is the normally
open side of the relay, and C is the normally closed side.

The receiver unit requires 12V DC.  DC is supplied to the 2-terminal strip
at the top center of the unit, when positioned  as above.  The strip is not
marked, but the terminal nearest the large diode next to it is “+”;  the
diode will keep you from making a mistake, by blocking voltage from the
unit if you connect it incorrectly.

The current drawn depends on the operating mode and, in
latching,/non-interlocked mode, on the number of relays activated
simultaneously.  With just the receiver operating, the unit draws 5.6 mA.  A
single relay raises that to approximately 56 mA, and each additional relay
adds about 50 mA.

*Programming*

 The receiver/relay unit can be programmed to operate in one of three modes:

1.       Latching – press a button, and the corresponding relay is
energized, and stays energized until the button is pressed again.

2.       Non-latching (momentary) – press a button, and the corresponding
relay is energized so long as the button is pressed.  Release the button,
and the relay is de-energized

3.       Interlocking – press a button, and the corresponding  relay is
energized until another button is pushed.

Programming is very simple.  Momentarily press the programming button on
the receiver unit.  The LED next to it will light.  Then press the button
on the controller corresponding to the mode you want, as numbered above.  The
LED will flash quickly a number of times, indicating that the receiver has
been programmed.  To clear the programming and return the unit to its
original state, press the programming button again.

73, Pete N4ZR

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Milt -- N5IA <n5ia@zia-connection.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Milt -- N5IA <n5ia@zia-connection.com
> >wrote:
>
>  A question to the informed masses.
>>
>> A year or so ago I purchased some wireless remote control, 8 relay,
>> modules from some source on E-Bay.
>>

>> Does anyone have any experience with these units which have a sole
>> identifying mark, silk screened on the RX and relay board, of CDKZQ-8L.
>> The manufacture date is 2011.10.04.
>>
>> These units apparently work on 310 MHz.  The only result I get in a web
>> search is a Linear Delta Remotes company.  But nothing they show for
>> products resembles these units.
>>
>> The tiny remote control transmitter has larger, red colored keys numbered
>> 1 & 2, and 3-8 on smaller black colored keys.  It has a small telescoping
>> antenna.
>>
>> These units are very well constructed, operate at 12 VDC, and look to be
>> SPDT relays with 3 connections per relay on the terminal boards.
>>
>> Does anyone out there know anything about this unit; in particular how to
>> program the channels for control of the eight relays?

Topband Reflector