Re: Topband: 160M Rhombics

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M Rhombics
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:23:19 -0400
When I was floating around in the Med for the USN in the early 60's, the bases I visited were all using rhombics pointed at DC mounted on 80-120' wooden poles. These consistently outperformed a 20M 6 el Telrex at similar heights at the ham station into the same area. The arguments were going on strong even way back then and hams often had times they could use the rhombics and run tests with buddies at the ham station a mile or so away. The sites I regularly stopped at were Rota, Rhodes, just S of Athens, and Libya.

For the guy who has the land and wants to own 20-10M in one or two directions for his daily chats, a rhombic will cost a lot less than a rotating tower with stacked yagis for each band. Also consider what seems like a very narrow beamwidth at the antenna can cover a lot of the planet by the time it reaches its antipode. With 2 rhombics and some relays to switch termination points a mighty potent signal can cover a lot in 4 directions. This is no more space than a decent Beverage farm.

A rhombic isnt very practical on the lower bands for most hams as that link shows but for 20-10 it can be very effective.

Carl
KM1H

If we want an antenna just for looks, might as well make it all out of a
non-conductor such as plastic rope. :-)

Seriously, Tom is right. Take time to study his rhombic page. However, as
one wise man once told me, "Time spent doing something you enjoy is not
wasted time". Putting up a rhombic might also be a good learning
experience. But you better make sure that you aim it right where you need
it.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com