Re: Topband: Replacing F Connectors with BNCs

To: Niko Cimbur <ac6dd@yahoo.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Replacing F Connectors with BNCs
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 20:28:42 +0000
There are higher-quality F female connectors with a blue dielectric insert (not
the normal white or clear insert). They are rated up to 2GHz if I remember
correctly, but they also have better machining on the threads and a better
center conductor terminal. The male connector isn't really any difference. The
blue ones I've seen have also been longer but I'm not sure if that's always the
case.

If you need a "better" F female I'd try the ones with the blue inserts. They're
available from many different sources. I don't know if they can handle repeated
disconnect/reconnect cycles better, but the terminal inside them is much more
robust.

  -Bill

> Most of my problems when I go portable have been in the cabling and
> connectors. The F type connectors don't seem to like multiple connects and
> disconnects.  They also don't seem to be very strong.  I have had animals get
> tangled in my cabling and break and short the jacks.  I like the F male
> stainless
> snap'n seal the best.  I use a couple of very small crescent wrenches to help
> me with the connections.  As far as the Female end is anyone reccomending
> any particular brand other than Amphenol for durability?
Topband Reflector