Topband: 160 Meter Ops

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter Ops
From: Jim Bennett <w6jhb@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:29:33 -0800
This contest, along with the Stew Perry versions, certainly make one wonder -
WHERE THE HECK ARE ALL THE CW OPS THE REST OF THE YEAR? On any given night, one
can jump on 160 (or even 80) meters and hear pretty much nothing. Calling CQ
sometimes brings an answer, but not that often. Forty meters has some activity,
but 160 and 80 are vast wastelands. Then along comes the contest, like last
night, wall-to-wall stations on Top Band. I live in a "standard" residential
neighborhood and don't have a lot of room. I've got a non-mega antenna: an
Inverted L that only goes up about 20 feet vertically with the rest
horizontally, and with my K3 and KPA500, am able to work east coast stations at
will. So, it's not that my, or everyone elses' RF is going straight up into the
ozone on other nights. Where is everyone?

Jim / W6JHB
Folsom, CA