Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 17:12:10 -0800
The SignaLink supported software page has a nice summary of software decoders see http://www.tigertronics.com/sl_soft.htm

If "universal" means automatic selection of the correct decoding mode, that would be a challenge!

Grant KZ1W

On 12/30/2013 9:11 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:
I have not been on the air for a year or so, but decided to get back on. I was listening to a DX station around 1833 when a digimode station up roughly around 1837 came on with a LSB "spurious" signal on 1833. His signal was a series of slowly changing stepped tones. I don't know what mode that was. His unwanted sideband suppression was about 40 dB, but that was not nearly enough. He was 15 dB out of noise with his unwanted sideband.

Does anyone know of a universal software to decode signals? Since the FCC does not require a CW ID, I think that is the only way to identify stations.

I assume:

1.) Operators are unlikely to accept they have a problem if they are getting good reports on the intentional signal

2.) Some rigs just should not be used for digimodes (this was a sideband suppression issue)

3.) Those who unwisely placed digimode subbands next to popular weak signal areas, especially when sideband selection produces a supurious that falls in weak signal areas, are unlikely to rethink the poor placement or poor advice on selecting sidebands

4.) With a little work to convince them, most digital ops with radio problems would avoid operating

73 Tom