Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues
From: Steven Raas <sjraas@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 23:29:09 -0500
Tom,

I would have to agree. Let me also add my personal experiences on 160m
JT65, were good, however, at the latter stages of me being QRV on the band,
I was very politely spoken to, and delightfully educated on such matters by
Les, KL7J , whom really gave me some great insight on a then and still new
band to me, for this I am ever grateful. We tried to contact on many
occasions a few years back on 160M JT-65, however the latter attempts were
lower in the band , 1807 ish or so if I recall. I was one of the many daily
160M  ops for quite some time, but after learning, & progressing, if I was
QRV on 160 at the moment, I would take it ( digital ops ) down the band. I
will also admit, that I was lured with the possibility ( at those times )
of my 1st trans-oceanic 160m QSO using JT65 ( or any mode ) , with my
experiences now, I would say that waiting for prop, and running 4 or 5 cw
q's was much easier for those 1st trans-oceanic q's. Not to mention that
the long deep fades that I had ( with very very limited antennas which are
frequently common with 160 digi mode ops ) would not be very beneficial for
JT65 ' long haul / high qsb qso's, however this is not always the case. I
can even say that to this day, I had yet to work any DX on 160m JT-65, cw
now, is a different story thankfully :)  There is also WSPR activity in
that area of the band if I recall ( that may have changed ) amongst a few
others. I think that progress could be made in getting the digi ops to qsy,
perhaps to the lower end of the band, I'll be honest tho, I think that the
hardest part would be getting the word out to the masses, however when
presented with facts, and honest concern with the forsight of keeping the
band active and everyone happy, my guess is that few would gripe.. but the
masses just want to make qso's like the rest of us, and would in time
oblige. I digress..have a great new year everyone & enjoy !

-Steve Raas
N2JDQ