Re: Topband: Question - optimum number of radials

To: "'Bill Cromwell'" <wrcromwell@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Question - optimum number of radials
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:54:41 -0500
Hi, Bill

Well, like you, I also live on a fairly small city lot with way too much
bedrock coming up to the surface and a long concrete driveway, so buried
radials just aren't feasible for me! So I hung my inverted L in a tall tulip
poplar in one corner of the lot and I ran two elevated resonant radials down
the fence lines - elevated about 5-6 feet. I worked good stuff all over the
world including JA and Indian Ocean, and VK6. If I could hear 'em, I could
work 'em! BEST thing I EVER did for myself was to build a KAZ terminated
receiving loop for the low-bands 160-30m, so I could HEAR more!  Worked
great!! And no, I didn't have 100 buried radials, but just a few elevated
resonant radials will produce very effective results for the transmit
antenna!

73
Charlie, K4OTV