Topband: Antenna matching question

To: "topband (topband@contesting.com)" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Antenna matching question
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 17:42:35 +0000
I'm working on a new matching network for my vertical. The vertical is a wire
cage of approx. 82 feet high, and I use it on 160, 80 and 40 meters. The
matching network is a low-pass L network. The new matching network is remotely
tunable with 5 different capacitors selected by vacuum relays and two tapped
inductors adjusted with motorized rotary switches. One inductor is large (about
45 uH), most of which is needed for loading on 160 and less is needed on 80 but
I have 6 taps to choose from. The smaller inductor (about 2 uH) is used mostly
for 40, but also to "fine tune" the large inductor since the large inductor is
almost 2 uH per turn. The inductors are in series between the antenna and feed
with motorized rotary switches to select the taps, one switch per inductor, 6
taps per inductor. Taps are set to be "about right" for the bands I use on the
antenna so the matching network is adjustable but within certain ranges - it's
not a "match anything" network, it's specific to t
 his antenna.

Here's my question: the large inductor is much higher Q on 160 than the small
inductor (large inductor is about 4.5" diameter, small one about 2" diameter).
Would it be better to have the large inductor connected to the antenna and the
small one to the feed (the two inductors would still be in series), or the
other way around? My original thinking was that it wouldn't really matter since
they're in series, and due to the tap selection arrangement the same
distributed capacitance is in the circuit regardless. Can anyone think of a
reason why the arrangement of which inductor was in which position would make
any practical difference in this system that I may have missed?

  -Bill