Re: Topband: Foreign stns using NA remotes for K1N

To: David Raymond <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>, TopBand <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Foreign stns using NA remotes for K1N
From: Charles Otnott <wd5bjt@peoplepc.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 12:25:34 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
David, et. al.,

The FCC says that RHR is not "radio for hire" and therefore
legal (for USA hams). The ARRL Board Of Directors, with
the EXCEPTION of Delta Division Director Norris, and 1st
VP Roderick, voted for allowing RHR for ARRL awards.

The BOD determined that it was up to the individual to
weigh the moral ethics behind use or non use of RHR.

One prominent local DXer was caught using RHR during a
recent contest stating he was in our local area when
the RHR was located in another CQ Zone. Ethics??? I
think not. His 160M DXCC totals skyrocketed within a single
year when hams in his local area were using competition
grade 160M stations had no propagation he seemed to have.

Bottom line: RHR is controlled by individuals with
DEEP pockets/wallets. The ARRL BOD, for the most part,
are not DX-ers and have no concept of the DXCC awards
programs and effects of uneducated rules changes.

One solution: Write your ARRL BOD member, and all other
ARRL Directors, voice your educated opinion based on
solid facts. Demand change.

As far as non-USA hams using USA based RHR, complain
to the FCC to see what they can do.

I have my asbestos undies on...

73 & Best DX

Charlie
WD5BJT

See September 2006 CQ Magazine for a published work.
www.qsl.net/wd5bjt