Topband: Edmund Burke Quote

To: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Subject: Topband: Edmund Burke Quote
From: Tod <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 08:49:32 -0700
Doug,

That is an excellent quote.

"Edmund Burke said all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good
men do nothing"

I feel we have a problem though; just what is the Evil we are planning to rally
against? Many of the posts on the thread suggest that DXCC has been badly
compromised starting when the mileage rule was "liberalized". Having been been
a Ham and DXer since shortly after the Big Bang, I do remember that rule and
the challenge it posed --  especially to folks who moved around their country
(or the World) a lot.

If DXCC is already broken, what are we trying to save? Even worse, when we
become silent keys only a few people will recognize our DXCC or WAS
achievements. And that recognition, except in the case of a very, very few
(W1BB etc. ) will disappear as the time we are gone increases.

I support the concept of trying to "restore" some of the previous "challenge"
of DXCC or WAS by lobbying those parties who manage the "rules that currently
apply". I fear it will be a challenge to change even one word, but that does
not mean one should not try to do so.

I will close with another quote ( this one is mine) : "When there is a choice
of some action  having been done by Evil or by Stupidity. always pick
Stupidity. Being Evil requires significant intelligence and a lot of work"

Tod, K0TO

Sent from my iPad air