Re: Topband: Foreign stns using NA remotes for K1N

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Foreign stns using NA remotes for K1N
From: "John Kaufmann" <jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 21:08:26 -0500
<W8JI>:  The last good DXCC's were when we had a mileage limit. Even then,
> someone could use a second site. It was actually common to use second
> sites. W1BU did it from a swamp, even W1BB had two stations.

Just for the record, it is true that W1BB had two stations, but they were in
the same town (Winthrop, MA) and literally minutes apart.  One station was
at his home, which was on a tiny, postage stamp lot.   He did most, if not
all, of his serious 160m DXing from the famous "water tower" location
overlooking the ocean.  I had the good fortune to visit Stew and see both
places back in the 1970's when he was active.  The times I heard him
operating on 160 from the water tower QTH, he would sign W1BB/1 to indicate
he was not at the home station.

73, John W1FV