Re: Topband: [Bulk] RX cables in woods

To: Greg Zenger <n2gz@gregzenger.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Bulk] RX cables in woods
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 21:14:51 -0800
Rock ledges probably mean directional drilling would be prohibitively expensive. Even in soft soil it costs A LOT more than trenching. Same for a Ditch Witch over ledge even with carbide teeth, but you might get a lot of it underground. I put in 6000' of 1" water line (mostly PVC) to a spring and Ditch Witched with my ride on in loose rock, pulled it in with a ripper blade on the tractor in adobe, and used galvanized sch40 where I had to go above ground over ledge. Pasture land with 100+ grazing cattle at a prior QTH.

PVC conduit/pipe/well tubing is fragile when cold, so deer might damage it in the winter. EMT is cheap and will withstand any deer hoof, but will rust thru eventually.

A 3/16" EHS catenary cable stoutly attached to strong trees will withstand fairly large branch drops with the cables tie wrapped to it. You might get a Beverage for free with it but I would run the coax/control underground for at least the last 100' to the array. What radius are you planning?

I ran the RG6 and control line for my DXE 4sq receive in an underground 1 1/4" conduit, about 220', and rented a walk behind Ditch Witch look alike to do the digging, mixed forest, soft ground. I rented it at Home Depot. (I sold the ride on DW3500 and it was too wide to navigate among the trees)

You might need to tweak the supply voltage or control wire gauge for a 900' run. I think liquid tight flexible conduit is much more expensive than 1 1/4. 1 1/4 pvc sch 40 flexes quite a bit in warm weather or get a PVC bending blanket heater for sharper bends. 900' is long for a single pull, you may need a junction pull box or two. Use plenty of pulling lube. You might be able to use 1" PVC if there are few bends, and large radius bends are easy in 1". Any sch40 or EMT galvanized required for above ground will be cheaper. (EMT to sch 40 PVC requires an adapter, the OD's are different.)

Underground is better for the antenna's performance.

Grant KZ1W