Re: Topband: RX cables in woods

To: "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net>, "Greg Zenger" <n2gz@gregzenger.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RX cables in woods
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 08:29:21 -0500
The cheapest protection would be Polyethylene sprinkler pipe. Better would be rigid pvc electrical conduit. Either will be much cheaper than liquid tight pvc conduit.

All of my receive antenna systems are now protected by black cheap polyethylene sprinkler pipe where the cables come up out of the leaves or dirt. It adds a significant layer of protection when mowing, and keeps the animals away from the cable. Nearly all of my cable damage is from Raccoons chewing and pulling on the cables, and I am tired of trapping and exporting the nasty things down the road.

The curving works to my advantage, because I use it to bring the cables up out of the ground or leaves.

I'm not sure, however, about using it for long distances. I have to swap my 4 square over to 75 ohm cable, and I only have .750 bare aluminum cable. I was looking for something to sleeve over it, since I do not want to direct bury the bare aluminum shield that is grounded to a large copper radial system, and I mow that field.