Re: Topband: Fw: verticals by the sea

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: verticals by the sea
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 17:21:46 -0400
One could also get an idea of driving you car across a causeway or bridge of a salt water inlet while listening to an AM station up on the high end of the AM band and observing the sometimes astounding weak signal enhancement. Many times also the power line noises and other industrial QRN is gone. In fact if there is one of these bridges or causeways near your QTH you might consider locating a SDR receiver, solar powered, with internet WI-max connection, loop antenna or Hi-Zi for the low bands, if of course you could convince the highway department that it was needed to collect scientific data or some other viable excuse. Such a device could be shared with other TB enthusiasts in your immediate area in order to help pay for the minor investment.

I don't mean to start another round of debate on remote RX enhancement by a close proximity remote receiver but the experiences of ZL3IX and others has proven they can make the difference in hearing TB DX or not. Last month the entire power grid was down while I was listening to E30FB on TB with the big UPS battery backup running the rig. Out of nowhere I located him working EU's so I know I had a chance for a new country on 160. When the power returned and the amp warmed up I was able to get in the log with the 900 foot Beverage 90 degree used on RX.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ