Re: Topband: Antenna relays

To: "Tim Shoppa" <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna relays
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 10:16:07 -0400
With silver-cadmium relay contacts I use on my ladder line switching, I
find I have to occasionally transmit a dit to get receive to work again,
especially if I haven't been on the radio in hours or days. My mental model
is that I have to "blow through" the surface contamination. Would
definitely never use the silver-cadmium contacts in a receive-only path.
(Even though I have been known to make some Q's while transmitting on my
receive antennas, it was purely by accident!)

That's exactly what you are doing, blowing through a very thin surface contamination.

There are a few common forms of high resistance or open contacts. The very things that allow hot switching go contrary to receiving. For best results contact overlay has to be gold, it has to be cold switched (or switched with low voltage and current to not burn off the plating), and the contact needs to have a small surface area. Some relays are split into multiple small areas to increase contact area pressure and parallel areas.

The worse thing is a large area, because pressure across the area decreases for a given spring pressure.

A second issue, now more prevalent with everything being made offshore, are contaminants inside relays. The plastics can leech contaminants, or air sealed inside just might be dirty. This usually cures itself over time.

Low frequency performance, tests, and specs don't mean much. Skin effect seriously aggravates heating in some wires and contact current carriers.