Re: Topband: Antenna relays

To: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna relays
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 10:37:22 -0400
I agree generally with these comments, except that my experience with
CdAg contacts on receiving hasn't been that bad, provided that the
application exercises the relays occasionally. Thus, using them as,
e.g., an outdoor antenna switch where the antenna isn't regularly
switched, and where there are large temperature fluctuations, can
definitely lead to receive problems. At one point I thought about
using a small dc bias current through relay contacts, but found it
wasn't necessary.

I agree that 60Hz tests of current capacity don't automatically
translate into RF performance. The relays I mentioned earlier I tested
at 30MHz with 2500W (maximum I can generate in my station) into 50
ohms. I've never noticed any dielectric heating of the housing of any
small modern  power relays, but some brands use hookup wire connected
to the contacts. With 50ohm loads, I've never had any problems with
arcing or voltage breakdown. Generally, large contacts, with short
wide straps to the relay pins, and the coil oriented to minimize
coupling, give the best results.  Obviously mismatched or high-Z loads
are another story entirely. Some relay brands seem to work well up
through 6m, but all become unusable at 2m and higher.
73,
Jim w8zr

Sent from my iPhone