Re: Topband: ADC Overload from MW transmitters

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ADC Overload from MW transmitters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:06:22 -0700
Does that mean "don't bother me with facts, I've made up my mind?"

Tom presented his experience. He's a damn good engineer, so we should pay attention to it.

Much earlier in this thread, I observed that most serious contesting stations using more than one transmitter will have bandpass filters in the RX path, which will, for all practical purposes, eliminate overload from signals that are far out of band, but they won't eliminate overload from IN-band signals. Two examples of this are 1) two transmitters on the same band, as is commonly done by serious competitors in 160M contests and by multi-ops in DX contests; and nearly in-band broadcast signals, as on 40M and 20M.

Yes, a few contesters are beginning to use the higher quality SDRs (they currently own and use Flex 6700s). One group, near me, is working on a multi-multi site on a mountain peak in the 3,000 ft range, which they plan to operate by remote control. There are serious engineers in the group and I suspect they're spending serious bucks on the station, so there's no doubt that it will include serious bandpass filtering. :)

I suspect that remote control and the ability to see a bandscope over a robust remote link has something to do with their choice of radios.

73, Jim K9YC