Re: Topband: fixing beverage

To: "Jorge Diez - CX6VM" <cx6vm.jorge@gmail.com>, "'TopBand List'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: fixing beverage
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 12:34:41 -0500

I notice that my USA beverage is lower in 3-4 S units that some weeks ago.

5-20 dB. Depending on receiver and where it is at on the S meter.

That has to be a poor connection, open, or short between the receiver and the Beverage transformer end of the Beverage. It cannot be at the termination end.

At simple view all seems to be OK. I think the coax is not the problem,
because if I have a problem in the coax, will be completely deaf, right?

No. Coax can do this. It happens all the time. Especially at connectors.

So this can be the cause of a problem in the end resistor or maybe in the
transformer?  I use in this beverage a WX0B beverage boxes

It can not be at the end resistor termination.

The problem is if you disturb something it will often start working. You need to carefully check one thing at a time. Many times, if not most times, this is corrosion or tarnish on the center pin of the coax. Sometimes it is a broken wire, or a bad part from lightning or water.

The best way to test it is with an SWR meter and do a frequency sweep from the house, before you touch the antenna or any outside connections. The frequency of either adjacent major dips in SWR or impedance will allow you to calculate exactly where the problem is. The MFJ analyzer will do this within a few feet, even on a 1000 foot cable, by using distance to fault.

73 Tom