Re: Topband: fixing beverage

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: fixing beverage
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 18:02:29 -0500
There are multiple ways to do TDR. I like the way that this unit does it -- an inverse FFT of a frequency sweep.

http://sdr-kits.net/VNWA3_Description.html

To expose small perturbations in the feedline or system, make the sweep at VHF/UHF. To see only the more gross defects, sweep from about 50-150 MHz. To understand this, remember that a linear frequency sweep will spend more time in the high octaves than the low ones, so the greatest contribution to the display will be that higher octave, whatever you have chosen.

Actually, to see the more gross defects, we would look at a lower frequency. I don't want to imagine what my 160 stuff would look like at VHF. :)

A system can have a 500 ohm transmission impedance bump 1 foot long on 160 meters and it just doesn't matter. The general rule is if a reasonable impedance discontinuity is less than one degree long, it will not upset the system. SO 239's, for example, are about 35 ohms in the female's joining spring part (the males are nearly perfect). The effect of that bump is nearly immeasurable below 100 MHz.

We all know a one foot long chunk of wire that might be 400-800 ohms surge impedance barely changes SWR and adds immeasureable loss between the coax and a vertical base on 160. Same reason. Although the wire is a "major" impedance bump, it is electrically not too long.

What we cannot tolerate on 160 are resistive series connections and low resistance shorts shunting the system, or cross coupling from sharing common currents.

On 160 meters, if we simply measure RF voltage across the input of a line while sweeping low frequency, recording the repeating frequency of voltage minimums, we can find the distance to any cable or connection problem affecting the system by more than a few dB. Little lumps and bumps at VHF might locate a future issue like a chewed shield, but for an existing signal loss they are just a distraction.

If a shield develops high resistance 800 feet from my house, the high series resistance will cause a repeating voltage null 800/492 = 1.626 MHz apart.

If I swept the line and saw repeating nulls spaced 3 MHz apart, I would know an issue existed 492 / 3=164 electrical feet away. If the cable was .85 vf , the issue would be 164*.85 = 139.4 feet away physically. This would be true for an open or a short.

All the software and refinement does for locating major existing issues affecting level is eliminate the use of a calculator. Any SWR measuring device, or even a simple voltage indicator, could do the job. I can find a bump affecting receive levels with a Heathkit VF1 VFO and a 1N34 diode and meter about as well as I can with a TDR on 160. :)