Re: Topband: Noise levels on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise levels on 160
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 20:30:35 -0000
I am somewhat new to 160 meters. I converted an old VHF tower at my house to a 160 M 1/4 wave radiator in late 2013 and have been active since then on a casual basis. Recently I started showing symptoms of the 160 Disease, and have been looking for ways to improve things. The XYL has nixed anything big (no more towers) so I am stuck with a single radiator, but I can still work on the receiving side. I just built up an Africa beverage (100 degree az) and was happy with the noise level on that antenna. It seems extremely low and about as good as my Europe beverage. Recently, I tried measuring each beverage and the vertical antenna to nail down the noise floor using my K3 and P3 panadaptor. I wonder if these numbers are good and how they compare with other setups. For the record, I set the P3 at the narrowest span, 2 kHz. I used the preamp ON for the beverages and the preamp off for the vertical. I recorded these levels on late Saturday evening during the ARRL 160 contest, and then again, the following Monday during the day. I recorded the following numbers...

ANTENNA           NOISE LVL    DAYTIME
JA  330 deg            -133                -138
West 270 deg         -125                -130
SW  220 deg          -125                -132
Africa 100 deg         -136                -144
Europe  45 deg        -138                -142
Vertical Antenna      -115                -123

All measurements were taken with the P3 panadaptor set at 2 kHz span. That is important. K3 preamp is ON. These numbers taken at night are a moving target. The noise can vary from hour to hour. I looked across the 2 kHz span of the P3 and averaged what I saw. I seem to hear reasonably well with the vertical, and in the past used it quite often. Now that I have a few beverages, I hardly ever listen on the vertical anymore. Both the 220 and 270 degree beverages suffer from power line noise and are 10 dB noisier than the wires aimed East. I am thinking about maybe nulling out the power line noise. I am sure that noise is killing my receive. I guess I should make a real measurement of my noise floor at a specified bandwidth of the receiver. That would require more work! I took the easy way and set the P3 at minimum span and looked at the "grass level". What numbers do others see on 160? I live in a rural area in Maine near the NH border. I have a neighbor across the street and another two about 1000 to 1200 ft away. I think my location is pretty quiet, but I do often see interference that comes and goes. I always hear two electric fences. One is a single snap every second or so. The other is a pulsing burst of noise that lasts maybe 300 ms that repeats every second or so. There is also a rather broad drifting signal to my NE that is about 20 kHz wide and drifts around 1820 kHz. It is about 5 dB above the normal noise. I suspect it is a mile away, but have not found it yet.

Dave K1WHS