Re: Topband: Noise levels on 160

To: n6bk@yahoo.com, k1whs@metrocast.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise levels on 160
From: Louis Parascondola via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 07:10:48 -0500
I also am new to the top band.  Been a ham since 1967 and I suppose I have made
about 5 contacts on 160 since then.  But now that I have decided to make 160m
my new challenge I am hooked.  I did know enough by speaking with a friend that
unless I had a beverage for receive I had better just forge about even getting
started.  So, he helped me install a beverage.   We strung out about 550 feet
of wire.  I did not terminate the far end.  The other end goes to the balun and
is grounded with a ground rod.  I have the feed line laying on the ground all
the way to the shack window where it rises about 7 feet to go indoors.  I made
the mistake of thinking the braid does not pick up noise and raised the feed
line to enter the house through the roof area.  So the feedline was raised from
the feed point over to the house roof.  BIG MISTAKE!  The noise jumped up so
high that it was only 2 s units better than the 55 foot OCF dipole for 160m  I
had to immediately return it to the way it wa
 s on the ground,  In the evening on 160m  The OCF at about 55 feet has a noise
level of about S8 to S9 and when I switch to the beverage the noise is only S1.
 It is truly amazing how quiet it is compared.  I can tell when I am running DX
who is listening on a beverage on their end and who isn't.  Often I can work
all over Europe and get all Q5 reports and answers with just one call.  When I
try working someone  the same country and they do not come back to my call or
anyone else's for that matter I know they aren't using a beverage.  I know for
certain that at least 75% of the contacts I have already made I could have
never made without the beverage.  The signals you never know are there come
right out of the noise when the beverage is selected as the rx antenna.  I also
use the same beverage on 80 and 40 meters with similar results!!  I would have
packed up my idea on playing with 160m if I did not have a beverage.  You would
never get anywhere without it in my opinion.  S
 ure you can make contacts but you will be missing a heck of a lot.  I have
done zero scientific tests like WHS, but my ear does not lie to me.  I have
heard you K1WHS on 160, good signal into CT.  73 all Lou W1QJ