Re: Topband: Noise levels on 160

To: HankP <pfizenmayer@q.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise levels on 160
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 14:36:35 -0500
Hi Hank,

The case I'm currently working on sounds very similar to yours but at 8 Khz
separation and it's due to an AC servo drive on an injection molding
machine 0.5 miles away (a visiting ham in my shack said the signal just
sounded like someone tuning up his rig as it's a pretty clean and narrow
signal).  4 khz and 8 khz are very common carrier frequencies in the world
of variable speed drives (case earlier this year that I worked on used a 4
khz carrier).  In my current case I notice slightly lower signal levels on
the even harmonics, and the signals appear from below 160 meters all the
way through 160 meters and slightly beyond.

Generally I try not to guess at the source as that sometimes puts blinders
on when tracking down the culprit.  The only time I really try and figure
out what the source might be is when it's broadband white noise, and then I
try and determine if the interference is power line arcing related versus
some other kind of source (pretty easy to do).  If it looks like power line
arcing then I use a AM VHF radio with directional antenna for direction
finding as I approach the source versus an HF rig with directional antenna.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)