Re: Topband: Heathkit SB-1000

To: "Louis Parascondola" <gudguyham@aol.com>, <adkmurray@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Heathkit SB-1000
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 08:31:00 -0500

Good point Tom, beginning with too little drive would require more load C than is available. That and the brass washer should be installed also.

Hi Lou,

The anti-corona washer was not in the SB1000 or early AL80A. It should be added if a user might happen to mistune.

But I'd like to reiterate......the LAST thing to do is just start throwing padding capacitors in. That tank will tune fine as designed unless it has a component or wiring problem, or unless the drive level is too low to match.

If it is being driven with 50 watts or more and does not tune into a 50 ohm load, I'd carefully inspect the entire tank circuit and wiring of the tank. This includes the switch (as Herb suggested).

Don't just go throwing parts in.

73 Tom